Pennsylvania is great, but the weather here isn’t great all year round. We really rely on our heating and air conditioning (HVAC) systems to keep our families comfortable on hot summer days and cold winter nights. Not only do we depend on these systems, but Pennsylvania homeowners also know that they are a big investment.
Take care of your investment through regular checkups and maintenance. HVAC experts recommend that your furnace, A/C and ventilation components be tested and serviced at least once each year. A little TLC goes a long way too. Yearly checks by a certified technician will ensure that your system lasts as long as possible. Here are some other key reasons to have your HVAC system serviced annually.
Benefits of HVAC System Maintenance
When you ensure that your HVAC system is maintained regularly, it will save you money and keep you and your family comfortable – in every season of the year. But, there are some other important advantages that Pennsylvania homeowners should be aware of:
- Longer Lifespan. The main advantage of yearly servicing is that it will help your HVAC system last longer. The average lifespan of a furnace and air conditioner is generally 10 to 20 years. However, some homeowners find that their HVAC systems last up to 30 years. The durability of your HVAC system will depend largely on how well you maintain it. Poor maintenance may mean that it needs to be replaced sooner.
- Lower Utility Bills. When an HVAC system is serviced annually, it will perform better. It’s simple; the more efficient the heating and air conditioning run, the lower your energy bills will be.
- Peace of Mind. If you service your HVAC system regularly, you can rest easy knowing that your system won’t break down when you need it most. Servicing will give your trusted technician the opportunity to replace worn out parts before causing more extensive and/or expensive damage to the system.
- Fewer Repairs. In general, regularly serviced HVAC systems don’t need to be repaired as often as those that are not maintained properly. The reason for this is that servicing gives technicians the chance to identify and resolve issues before they lead to a more problematic breakdown.
- More Indoor Comfort. You can expect a furnace and conditioning system to work far better and optimize comfort indoors with sufficient preventative care.
- Better Air Circulation and Quality. Your HVAC system is not only important for cooling and heating a space. It’s also responsible for ensuring proper ventilation. With regular service checks, you won’t have to worry about poor air quality and the accumulation of irritants like dust and allergens in your home.
- Less Money on Parts. Some homeowners mistakenly believe they’re saving money by skipping checkups. However, keeping your annual appointment can prevent you from wasting money. If you have your furnace and A/C unit cleaned on a regular basis, they’re less likely to need costly replacement parts. In the end, skipping annual servicing is usually more costly.
Guidelines for Servicing an HVAC System
Now that you know the importance of having your HVAC system serviced annually, here are some guidelines.
Most companies recommend that homeowners check the manufacturer’s instructions to determine how often to replace or clean air filters. Replacing or cleaning air filters is one of the easiest and most effective ways to keep an HVAC system functionally optimally. If a filter is clogged and dirty, it will make the entire furnace and air conditioning system work harder. Not only will this increase your energy bill, but it will also increase the chances of the system breaking down. In general, you should replace your HVAC system’s filter once a month.
Unfortunately, many homeowners overlook the importance of preventative maintenance for their heat and air conditioning system. Just as you probably have your vehicle serviced every year, you should have your HVAC unit serviced on a regular basis.
You should contact a professional HVAC technician to service your unit twice a year. Many homeowners prefer scheduling this at the beginning of spring and fall. This ensures that their system is in good shape to keep them cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
Don’t Get Left in the Cold – Call AQM!
Call AQM. We provide inspections, repairs and maintenance services for generators, furnaces and HVAQ equipment in the Delaware Valley. Check out our conveniently priced maintenance plans to keep your system running well all year long.